Death of "Jug" (Gatliff) Flynn

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Shirley Gatliff Cole

Death of "Jug" (Gatliff) Flynn

Post by Shirley Gatliff Cole »

â??JUGâ?￾
Edith Eileen (Gatliff) Flynn
2/6/1933-8/9/2005

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of our dear â??Jugâ?￾. She was a beautiful spirit who truly personified the lilt of Irish laughter. Edith Eileen Flynn was born on Beaver Island, the loving daughter of Mary (Tom) Gatliff, and beloved wife for nearly 50 years to husband Tom Flynn (49 years, 7 months, and 15 days to be exact). Her dear daughters MaryPat (Joseph) Pena and Barbara Flynn will miss her terribly, as will their children: Molly, Kyle, Matthew, Amanda and Brian. Jug was preceded in death by her parents; her brothers Bob, Corneil, Perry and Danny Gatliff; and her sisters Margie (Tom) Zank, Dorothy Licavoli, MaryRuth (Ken) Robbins, and Ellen Gatliff. She is survived by sisters Audrey Smallwood Driscoll, Grace Doig, Kathleen (Glenn) Wood, and Ann (Bayard) Kurth; sister-in-laws Jeannie, Georgie, and Ruth Gatliff; brother-in-law Buster Licavoli; and many (many!) loving neices and nephews. While she was unable to make the Gatliff family reunion last month due to her failing health, we take comfort knowing that she will enjoy a very special homecoming. The funeral mass will be held in Torrance, California, where Jug raised her family and spent many happy years. Memorial arrangements have been tentatively scheduled for an evening rosary on August 15th at Rice Mortuary, 5310 Torrance Boulevard, Torrance, CA 90503 (310) 379-2446, and funeral mass on August 16th at 1:30pm (with reception immediately following) at St. James Catholic Church, 415 Vincent Street, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 (310) 372-5228. May God bless and keep her family during this difficult time.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Never in my life did I ever have more fun and "craic" as they say in Ireland than with anyone more than "Jug". I remember most recently when we staged a delivery of flowers from her husband Tom, who was sort of rare on the island. Anyway, she got a call from the boat dock that she had a floral arrangement waiting for her. When she went down to pick them up there was a card with a zesty poem (ghost written) from Tom, well, when she read that we were off to the races and she somehow knew who the author was after a few guesses. We all roared with laughter, including her, and had a great visit then and always. Leanie was a very special person who carried the heart of Beaver Island in her soul and always treated the love of her homeland so very well. It's a shame that people today assume the things she worked so hard to keep real. But that was Leanie and we will miss her always, but, if you ever knew or saw her you could see that big smile at this moment!! That's what counts!!! Farewell to a good friend!!
Marypat

Death of "Jug" Gatliff Flynn

Post by Marypat »

Shirley, thank you for your beautiful obituary for Mom. It's been a month today that she died and it still seems unreal. Richie, thank you as well for your nice comments...I didn't remember hearing that story so I got a good laugh out of it (which I appreciated!). My Mom will eventually be buried on the Island so she can lay beneath the "Green, green grass of home..."