Ernie Martin, Sr.-Hurt

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rich

Ernie Martin, Sr.-Hurt

Post by Rich »

Ernie Martin Sr. fell from a scaffold this evening and hit his head very hard with some loss of blood. He was cared for by Beaver Island EMS who did a class job and flown to Traverse City in the United States Coast Guard Helicopter, his brother said he was breathing well........Your thoughts and prayers for Ernie would be greatly appreciated.
Paul/Shirley

Post by Paul/Shirley »

Our thoughts and prayers are with Ernie and his family ~ please keep us all posted.
beckyg24

Ernie

Post by beckyg24 »

We are so sorry to hear of the accident. We hope all is well and he makes a speedy recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Please keep us informed of any new developments. Becky and Tim
Rich

Post by Rich »

Haven't heard of any significant changes in Ernie's condition. This morning when I talked to Jackie she said he was stable but by no means out of the woods. He has 2 skull fractures, his diaphragm was displaced, pneumonia, has had survgery to relieve pressure on his brain and is in a coma (which the doctors somewhat prefer in part). We are all keeping our fingers crossed. Please keep him in your prayers!
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Thank you for keeping us posted, Rich.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Talked to Jackie at noon today. Ernie was back in surgery for more blood leakage in his brain. They have put him in a deep coma and are keeping him on a respirator so he does not have to breath on his own which will help the healing process. A waiting game..........
Rich

Post by Rich »

Slow changes the past couple days for Ernie. Talked to his daughter this morning. Yesterday they stopped the induced coma and are now waiting for some responses. He is moving somewhat but, of course, they are looking for more. Not much else to report but his vital signs are good. Keep praying!!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Talked to Jackie today. She told me that they had attempted to take Ernie out of the induced coma but it appeared to be too early. His reaction indicated they needed to keep him in the coma. The doctor did tell Jackie that there is brain activity so that is hopefull but given the severity of his accident they are taking things slow. Keep thinking about Ernie, your thoughts and prayers help!!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Sorry about updating but there is little to report :( . Talked to Jackie today. She told me they are taking him fully out of the coma in the next two days. One doctor she spoke to today is not being too optimistic but they won't know much more until the coma is fully out of the way. Keep praying for Ernie, thanks!!!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Talked to Jackie quite a bit today.........she said that the doctors get less optimistic although allof Ernie's body functions are working. He has movement although involuntary. The drainage tube was removed from his head and they are talking about a tracheotomy so they can remove the tube from his throat.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Nothing much to report..........they did a traceotomy on Sat. so they could remove the tubes from Ernies mouth but there has been no other improvement. Talked to Ernie Jr. a few minutes ago and they have been told that Ernie would not survive without the ventilator. They will be discussing the situation with the doctors on Monday. :cry:

Post by guest »

whats the latest news?
Rich

Post by Rich »

Its not good. The respirator was discontinued at 4:30 on Saturday. Pretty much a matter of time. A very sad state of affairs :cry: . Will keep you posted..............
Anna

Erine Martin SR.

Post by Anna »

I don't know Erie nor his family but wanted to say Im so sorry.

Anna
Kevin Gallagher

Ernie Martin

Post by Kevin Gallagher »

I met Ernie and his brother Emmett on my first visit to Beaver Island when I was about 12 yrs old which would have been in 1962. I helped them haul in fishing nets in the harbor and we became friends. My brother Mike and I last saw them all during Homecoming in 2004 where I had a chance to talk to Bud who helped us find our great, great, grandfather, Cornelius' homestead. We had a good time visiting with all 3 of them and was saddened to hear the news of his passing. He and I connected several times over the years when we used to make frequent trips to the Island with my parents, John and Betty Gallagher. My sympathy and prayers go out to his brothers and the rest of the Beaver Island community.
Kevin Gallagher
Kalamazoo, MI