Congratulations ferry "South Shore"

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Post by Guest »

Out of documentation sometime between 1982-1988.
http://digin.bgsu.edu/cgi-win/lak952.exe

Post by Guest »

http://digin.bgsu.edu/lakes.htm
Do a search for north shore
Image[/url]
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I loved riding the South Shore. My fave. "Specially when the lake was rough. One time I was seated facing the stern and these small children were on the bench next to me. They looked concerned, alright they were scared as we left the channel. I let out a big YEE HAW, RIDE 'EM COWBOY! With a big smile and a laugh to match. They looked at me for a moment and then decided it was going to be fun! They laughed and smiled the whole way across.

Some others were not having as much fun as they lost their lunches.

Another trip, Steve and I had drowned our sorrows at having to leave for another year the night before. We weren't sure we could pack up and make the boat, but we did somehow. As we left the harbor, the waves started kicking. We are very fortunate, the rough seas actually settled our stomachs! We enjoyed a doughnut and had a great ride. Others were not doing nearly as well and probably couldn't believe us eating while they were ...

The Beaver Islander is a nice enough boat, but I loved the South Shore. The Emerald Isle is good for its primary purpose of carrying freight, but it is not much fun unless the waves are really good size.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the link for the North Shore. I grew up riding the Beaver Islander and South Shore every summer visiting the Island during the '80's. I also got to ride the Happy Dolphin during it's very short tenure.

My grandpa owned the North Shore during the late 70's early 80's. I never did find out who he sold her to, so that's why I was asking. Out of documentation in '82 sounds about right. I have a few photos of her during that time.

Post by Guest »

Cool...Lets see those pics!!