Leadership Charlevoix County Program opportunities!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Community Center

Leadership Charlevoix County Program opportunities!

Post by BI Community Center »

Opportunities are available for a Beaver Island candidate to participate in the Leadership Charlevoix County 2012-2013 Program. A group of BI businesses and organizations are discussing support for partial tuition and travel expenses to facilitate access to this valuable skill-building program for an emerging Beaver Island leader!

Please review the following Press Release info, visit the website at www.leadershipcharlevoixcounty.com, and if you are interested, contact Ann Partridge at the Beaver Island Community Center, 231 448-2022 right away! Application deadline is August 1st!

Emerging leaders urged to join
Leadership Charlevoix County program

Business professionals looking to enhance their leadership skills are encouraged to apply for the Leadership Charlevoix County program, now entering its second year. Led by community leaders, the nine-month program will introduce participants to the various sectors of the county, the inner workings and needs of the region.
Applications are available online at www.leadershipcharlevoixcounty.com and are due by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 1. Applications can also be picked up at the Boyne City, Charlevoix, East Jordan and Beaver Island Chambers of Commerce or by calling 231.547.2101.
â??Leadership Charlevoix County is designed to cultivate new, emerging and potential leaders from our area,â?￾ said program coordinator Mishelle Shooks. â??We also hope participants will identify and address pertinent community needs while strengthening their own individual leadership abilities.â?￾
Jennifer Kenney, an employee of Harbor Industries in Charlevoix, completed the first year of the program in May and highly recommends it to others. " I believe my experience in Leadership Charlevoix County has given me a strong foundation for my future Leadership plans. Itâ??s ignited a spark in me to reflect on who I am and where I want to be.â?￾
The nine-month course, running from September 2012 through May 2013, will take participants throughout the county and includes sessions in:
â?¢ Connecting with government
â?¢ Health and human services
â?¢ Economic development
â?¢ Education today
â?¢ Building your tool box skills of communication, creativity, business ethics and media relations
â?¢ Arts, culture and philanthropy
â?¢ Environmental and natural resources
â?¢ Where do we go from here? Putting newly learned skills to use

In addition to the monthly sessions, the course will kick off with an orientation and then an overnight retreat to Beaver Island. Participants will be matched with a mentor who will help open doors to personal and professional growth. The session culminates with a graduation ceremony in May 2013.
Seats are limited and interested individuals are encouraged to complete an application soon. Tuition is $750 for the full course and includes materials, meals and other program costs. If the applicantâ??s employer/organization is not a member of the Boyne City, Charlevoix, East Jordan or Beaver Island Chambers of Commerce, the cost is $850.
Leadership Charlevoix County is sponsored by the Boyne City, Charlevoix and East Jordan Chambers of Commerce with support from the Beaver Island Chamber. The program is made possible by a generous grant from the Charlevoix County Community Foundation.
Leadership Charlevoix County is coordinated by Steering Committee members Jim Baumann, Boyne Area Chamber of Commerce; Erin Bemis, Charlevoix Area Chamber of Commerce; Mary Faculak, East Jordan Area Chamber of Commerce; Matthew Britton, Korthase Flinn Insurance; Susan Conklin, Boyne District Library; Kathy Jacobsen, Charlevoix Area Hospital; Frank Leonard, Save A Lot; Dianne Litzenburger, Charlevoix-Emmet Intermediate School District; Lori Meeder, Northern Initiatives; Val Meyerson, Charlevoix Public Library; and Maureen Radke, Charlevoix County Community Foundation.
For more information contact Shooks at shooks@charlevoix.org or 231.547.2101. Questions can also be directed to the Boyne City, East Jordan, Charlevoix and Beaver Island Chambers of Commerce.
The Beaver Island Community Center...
at the heart of a good community!