Family Reunion and Silent Auction

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Shirley Gatliff Cole

Family Reunion and Silent Auction

Post by Shirley Gatliff Cole »

This Saturday is our family reunion at Holy Cross Hall. Prior to the party we are having a family mass at 5:30 out at Holy Cross Cemetery (weather permitting). At that mass we plan to memorialize the ancestors that never had grave markers with footstones at the Gatliff cross. To help defray the cost of those markers, we are holding a silent auction during the party at the hall. Each family (Mary Tom had 13 children) is coming up with an auction item to help towards this effort. The items are representative of the 13 children themselves. For example, Aunt Kath is known for her wonderful baking, and I've heard her basket has a baking theme. My Aunt Marge's son Randy works for Nike, and all of us grandkids used to get shoes for free while we were growing up (even Gramma wore the Nikes!). Randy said he put together a fantastic basket of Nike gear, etc. etc. Besides the silent auction, we also have a basket of joy in a decorative boat to raffle off. Each grandchild (there were 40 of us!) is donating a bottle towards the cause, so it should be a nice haul for the winner (we'll even throw in a bottle of aspirin for the next day!). Bid only if you're interested or inclined; the true heart of the party is simply the gathering of family and friends. I realize it's a busy weekend coming up with the Celtic games and music festival, but we're all hoping that everyone can stop in for at least a tune and a toddy. Slan'!