Camping on the island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Mr. Holiday

Camping on the island

Post by Mr. Holiday »

Good evening all. Just a quick question, is it possible to camp on the island and bring a car over in July or August. Should one make reservations ? Or just pick a spot on the lake. Thanks its been about 25 years since I've been on the rock.
jflanagan

Re: BI Camping

Post by jflanagan »

This link will take you to the Chamber of Commerce page on Camping:
http://www.beaverisland.org/camping/index.html

Both locations are very nice; The St. James site is overlooking the Lake from a ??30?? foot bluff. It is within a short walk to town. The Wagner site is quit a ways down the island, also on the lake (East side opposed to West for St. James) and at lake level with a stoney (as I remember it) beach. It is fairly close to the hiking trails at that end of the island.

The Ferry may be a bigger problem, unless you plan to come over in mid-week I'd make my reservations right away.
http://www.bibco.com/

BTW, You'll love it, we look forward all year to out time on the Island. :mrgreen:

Jim
Kris S.

Bill Wagner campground

Post by Kris S. »

I concur with the first person who responded, except re: the beach. It's just south of the place we rent, and I would not describe the beach as stony. Maybe the stretch a few feet out from the waterline is a little stony, but before and after that, it's all sand.
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Great replay from jflanagan. :D We are here to help.

Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce
www.beaverisland.org
231 448-2505 M-F 9-1
chamber@biip.net
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Here are some larger pictures of the Bill Wagner Memorial Campground too: http://www.peaine.org/campground/
Mr Holiday

Many thanks to all who responded

Post by Mr Holiday »

Hey folks: Thanks alot for all the help and the links. My kids are ready to pack right now. The last time I was on the island was about 1979. I was living in TC, and I went to the fall fly in. many nice people from town picked us up at the airport and brought us into town for a whitefish dinner. It was great !!!! :mrgreen:
mlarmee

Bill Wagner Memorial Campground

Post by mlarmee »

Sorry if this is in twice. We have been camping at Bill Wagner Memorial Campground for over 25 years on and off. The campground offers larger sites, peace and quite. Generally the beach is a little rocky for the first few feet but there is a sand bar that goes out quite far and makes for some nice waves when the wind is from the right direction. The only problem is at certain times of the year, and we have yet to figure out when or why, thousands and thousands of flies can show up. I mean flies so thick that you canâ??t see your paint legs when you are near the beach. My advice is that you say away from the beachfront sites. While the beachfront sites have great views the flies donâ??t travel far from the sand and you get protection from storms that can come up.
Glen, who takes care of the campground for the township, does a great job in keeping it up. It is by far the more peaceful location.
The only other draw back is the 14 mile round trip into town that we tend to make once or twice a day. We do like that ice cream cone after dinner and it is a good way to look for deer. If gas is $ 2.15 down state I would hate to hear what it is on the Island so fill up before you come.
Enjoy your stay and make sure to visit Iron Ore Bay, the Cableâ??s Bays beach (a bit of a walk) and take the trails behind Bill Wagner Memorial Campground.
I have pictures of the campground if you would like to email at mlarmee@twmi.rr.com