chumchucking

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cheriken

chumchucking

Post by cheriken »

I've neveer chucked chum on the South Shore, but came close a couple of time, especially when I was pregnant.
I remember many a ride on my ex's commercial fishing boats chucking chum. The fishermen would be drinking, smoking, eating, and laughing like hell at us inexperienced and eager passengers.
They'd say "Ya gotta get your sea legs, you know, HAHAHAHAHA!'
The strong smell of fish didn't help matters much.
One trip we took from the island to Charlevoix always will stand out in my mind. We were on the Sunny Don, going over in a bad storm, with alot of extra passengers aboard. The waves were so high and rough, it was hard to believe we'd make it. The fisherman had to keep bailing the boat out, while I kept praying that we'd all make it and not wind up on channel 7 & 4 news as a tragic loss.
We made it all the way to Charlevoix some how, but it was too rough to make it into the harbor. So, we had to turn around and go all the way back to the island in this bad storm! We made it somehow (prayer I think) and I kissed the beloved shore. I couldn't walk straight for some time, from being bounced around for six hours or so.
Rememberer

Ive been there

Post by Rememberer »

Hey what year was that? cheriken. Ive done that before its not fun really. Ive been threw that on the Jerry W. Many time's ;) With the Grandpa.
Them days are over now ;} Neat story you did cheriken.
PS: yes Prayer work's ;)