An island connection?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Linda

An island connection?

Post by Linda »

Per Marie Power's suggestion, I am cross posting this to Jeff Powers, who Marie tells me knows someone that is very familiar with the history of the Gallagher's, my hubby's name, on the island.

I thought I would also post it here in the hopes that someone else may also know something that might be of help to us:

James Patrick Gallagher, a blacksmith, born March 17 (ya, sure and we all were!), 1858, somewhere in Ireland. Married Julia Fox, born August 31, 1863. Probably married in Greenwood Township, St. Clair County, Michigan. Julia's parents were Patrick Fox, a farmer in Greenwood Township, which is near the small town of Emmet, and Ellen Laverty, both also born in Ireland. Julia had a number of brothers and sisters, I did see a listing of this family in one of the federal censuses at one point. None after that as the census was destroyed by fire.

I do not know if James Patrick had any relatives in this country. He died in Corktown in Detroit in 1918, and is buried in the little cemetary now dissected by the John Lodge freeway.

We would be thrilled if we could come up with a Beaver Island connection, but we're not very hopeful, with so little information to go on. I have heard rumors over the years that, like many Beaver Islanders, our Gallaghers hailed from the Aran Islands, but I understand that a lot of Gallaghers did, and that the name is very common in Ireland.