Recipes from our Readers
Nancy Osman assures us that her husband Mitch's culinary talents are never so finely displayed as in his Pork Chops Osman, which has long been a favorite at Club Beaver, located at Isle's End. The recipe was invented by Mitch's grandfather in Turkey decades ago, and produces a meal of unparalleled succulence and tenderness.
Before you begin, procure these ingredients: 4 to 5 pork chops (rib, center cut, from McDonough's Market); 16 oz. Coca Cola Classic; soy sauce; sesame oil; fresh ground pepper; Tabasco Sauce; dark rum; and olive oil (1 tablespoon.)
1) Heat olive oil in a large skillet until very hot.
2) Place the pork chops in skillet and brown on one side with heat on medium high.
3) Drink one shot of rum and one swallow of Coke.
4) Turn chops over to brown, keeping heat on medium high.
5) While chops brown on second side, place 1 to 2 drops of sesame oil and Tabasco Sauce on each chop, as well as ground pepper (three turns of the mill.)
6) Place 1 to 2 tsp soy sauce on each chop and turn heat down to medium.
7) Drink two swallows of Coke.
8) Add 6 to 8 oz of Coke to pork chop pan, up to top edge of chops (do not cover chops!)
9) Cook vigorously uncovered until Coke is thick and syrupy (5 to 10 minutes; do not burn.)
10) Turn chops and repeat steps 5-9.
11) When Coke is again reduced to syrup-like thickness, lower heat and turn chops once or twice to coat.
12) Drink ½ shot of rum and add the rest to the pan.
13) Remove chops to platter.
14) Stir rum into Coke syrup and heat briefly.
15) Spoon syrup, 1 to 2 tablespoons, over each chop (along with any pork chop fat that remains in the pan.)
Serve with cold Coke Classic, mashed potatoes, and tossed salad. Bon apetite!
Send your favorite recipe to the Beaver Beacon, Box 254, Beaver Island 49782
The Real Beacon:
Search the Beaver Beacon Web Site & Archive: